Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Money Makeover and a New Computer

On Sunday, Andrew and I went and bought a new computer!! It's a Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5006 2.0GHz, 320GB Hard drive, and 3GB DDR2 800MHz Memory. We got a great deal at Sam's Club. Our other computer is 8 years old, and it was definitely time to replace it. We weren't in a big hurry to buy a new computer until Andrew got me a Digital Scrapbooking program for Christmas. He didn't know it at the time, but the program was not compatible with our old computer, so in order for me to use my Christmas gift, we had to get a new one. About the same time, Andrew got on this Dave Ramsey kick. So, instead of just going and buying a new computer and putting it on the credit card, or doing a finance program with the store, he wanted to pay CASH!! This is not typical for us, especially not for big purchases. We have always been the people who pay cash for the little things, and use the credit card for the big things. Well, we've been saving for the past 2 months, and finally had the Cash to make the purchase. I am so glad that Andrew made me save up for the computer. It makes me appreciate it so much more. Now, I just need to figure out how to use my new scrapbooking program. Everything else about the computer I love so far. It is super fast, and really easy to use. So far, I haven't had any problems with Windows 7 either. I heard horrible things about vista, so I was a little worried, but so far, so good.

About the Money Makeover, we are making every effort to get our finances in order, so we can be completely debt free. This will be a long process, but I know it will pay off in the end. Has anyone else done the Dave Ramsey program? Did you like it, Did it work for you? We haven't attended any classes, but we have listened to the CD's and Andrew has read the book. (Which he got at the library, free of charge. How's that for saving money...) I'm not going to like not spending money, but I know it will all be worth it in the long run.

1 comment:

carolinagirl said...

Mike and I used the Dave Ramsey plan to get debt free!!! We didn't do any classes, just DVD's and the books and online resources. Dave Ramsey came to Tampa over a year ago--we were already debt free. But we went with 2 other couples and had a blast!!

If Andrew has questions, he can talk to Mike for more details. It was hard while paying off the debt, but love living and paying cash for things now!!! It took us about 18 months, if I'm remembering right.