Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hawaii Vacation Day 9 - Goodbye Aulani & Hawaii

Monday morning would be our last, waking up in paradise. Since our photo session got cancelled the night before, we all put on our "matching" clothes and went to take pictures using our own camera and Disney's photopass people.

We were able to get some using photopass, but not many. But we did get some good ones with my camera.

While taking pictures on the other side of the lagoon, there was a seal right on the beach! There were some seal volunteers there, and had roped off that area of the beach. They told us all about her, and a little of her history that they knew. She was pregnant, but they weren't sure how far along or anything.

After I was done torturing my boys with pictures, it was time to go swimming one last time.

The boys got ready and went down to the pool, while I packed everything. I got everything packed up and headed down to the pool where I met Andrew, and he took the suitcases to the car and picked up our pass for the Luana Lounge. It is a one time use pass, so you all have to be ready to go change, and go and out at the same time. Because once you go out, you can't get back in.

 Anyway, back to the pool. It was so crowded, since it was Memorial Day. We were able to find a table and chairs near the octopus, which worked out really well, since we were planning to eat lunch before we left. 

It was time to order lunch, so I went to go get our last shaved ice of the trip.

We ate lunch, enjoyed the shave ice, and then went to change and head to the airport. I went ahead of Andrew and Michael by like 5 minutes, so I could be done changing, and then get Michael changed.  Well, when they were on their way, Goofy walked right up behind them and then proceeded to take Michael's hand and walk all the way to the Luana Lounge!! I'm so glad that Andrew is so quick with his phone, because he was able to capture a pretty "Magical Moment"! I only wish I could have been there to see it in person.

Well, we were supposed to be leaving the resort at 1:00 to get to the airport for our 3:30 flight. Let's just say that we were running a little behind schedule. And as Michael and I are waiting for Andrew to change, I send Michael into the men's bathroom to find out what is taking Andrew so long. A few minutes later, Michael runs out saying, "Daddy can't get his bag out!! He locked it up!" Andrew is walking behind him shaking his head. Apparently Andrew used one of the lockers, and pressed a different number than he though, and he couldn't open the locker. So I go next door to community hall, and ask if someone can open it for him. They call for someone, and we wait for them to get there. Keep in mind, we were already running late, and this added an additional 15-20 minutes. The guy finally comes and unlocks the locker! So we hightail it out of there. By then it was 1:45. Thankfully, we had no traffic getting to the airport. Only one minor delay with getting gas for the rental car. Then we finally get to the airport, and follow all of the signs for "Rental Car Return" and there is no Alamo place!!  We finally just follow the Alamo Bus back to where we picked up the car, and that is where we are supposed to return it! So, if you rent from Alamo, take it back to the same place you pick it up, Not the airport!! So, we turn in the car, hop on the shuttle, and get to the airport. We had checked in online and prepaid for our checked bags, so that saved us some time. When we go to check our bags, at 3:00, they tell us that we were too late to check our bags, and that they would eventually get to Charlotte, but we would be responsible for picking them up. We didn't care, and told them that was fine. Bags taken care of, we go through security, and get to our gate, which thankfully was right next to security!! As we walk up, they have already started boarding for our flight!! Talk about cutting it close!!

I was so nervous that we were going to get stuck in traffic, or stuck at the rental car return and miss our flight. But God was watching out for us, and we made it! And so did our luggage! As we were standing there, waiting to board, I look out the window and see our suitcases waiting to be loaded on the plane!!

We even had time to take a picture!!

We board the plane, and get comfy, since we would be there for the next 8 hours!!
The flight home was easy! They had so many different movies and TV shows to watch. Plus they had a USB plug, so we could plug in our phones and kindle, and Michael was happy as could be. We got a great view of Honolulu and Waikiki from the plane.

We also had a beautiful Sunset to watch.

Michael fell asleep about an hour before we landed in Atlanta.

Which was about 11:00 pm Hawaii time. Andrew slept just a little bit, and I didn't sleep at all. But I knew I wouldn't. We had a 2 hour layover in Atlanta, and Michael slept during the entire thing. Andrew grabbed us some breakfast from McDonald's and we ate it on the next plane. The ride from Atlanta to Charlotte is only 45 minutes, so that was a nice short flight. Michael stayed asleep the entire flight. Once we arrived in Charlotte, Andrew and Michael went to get the van, and I got our luggage. In the van and headed for home, Michael kept right on sleeping. We had to go pick up Molly from the kennel and then went straight home. It was about 10:30 when we finally got home. So we quickly unloaded the car, put Michael in his bed, then got in bed and took a nice long nap!! We slept till 3:30 in the afternoon, and then went to bed around normal time. Getting over the time change has been rough, and has taken us a week to readjust. Andrew did better, since he had to be up for work. Michael and I slept very late several mornings. Michael would go to bed good, but then wake up 3 hours later wide awake. We finally have him all straightened out, and everyone is sleeping normal again.

It was an incredible trip, and I have loved reliving it through my blog!!
People have asked if I would go back, and Yes, of course I would go back! But I would go back and be prepared next time. I will do one final blog about our trip, with some tips for anyone that may need them.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Glad you made your plane on time! I love the pic of Michael with goofy!