Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Finding my Joy in Jesus

The past two weeks at church have been all about finding your joy in Jesus. At first, I didn't think anything of this, just a new series for the new year. But after the first sermon, I knew that God had used this series to speak directly to me. The last year has been really hard for Andrew and I. The things I thought would give us joy, just weren't happening. Instead of moving forward with his job, things seemed to be moving backward for Andrew. Instead of getting pregnant, and finally having the child we so desired, we have had month after month of disappointment, including a miscarriage in September. But what I have learned from the series at church, is that my Joy should be found in Jesus, and nothing else. The fact that he so graciously gave me salvation, is all I need to be happy.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. " Matthew 13:44

This year, I am going to focus on finding my joy in Jesus, instead of my circumstances. I know that God has a plan for my life. And His plan for me right now is to focus on Him.

"6 In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, 7 so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls. " 1 Peter 1:6-9

At the end of the church service two weeks ago, we sang this song. I have sung this song so many times, but never really read the lyrics, or believed the lyrics. Take a minute to read them, and think about them. They are very powerful.

Trading My Sorrows
By Darrell Evans
I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

Chorus:
And we say yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord
Yes Lord yes Lord yes yes Lord Amen

I'm pressed but not crushed persecuted not abandoned
Struck down but not destroyed
I'm blessed beyond the curse for his promise will endure
And his joy's gonna be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning

4 comments:

Sarah said...

love ya Katie!

carolinagirl said...

That is a wonderful blog. I can vividly remember having those same feelings when we were first going through our struggles. Furthermore, we were at Southside that Sunday :-) and I had tears in my eyes singing. I get very emotional during songs that I can see God's hand working or wanting so badly to see God working. Your writing was thoughtful and from the heart.

kellyn2girls1boy said...

I pray that you find joy on your journey of a million miles!

Papa and Grandma Cox said...

I just took a minute to catch up on my blogs. and I am happy that I did. We will continue praying for you and Andrew. I know that it is sometimes hard to take your focus away from what you want and look to what He wants for you. Trust Him, He knows what is best for you.
Mom