Saturday, March 5, 2011

Making Baby Food

Thursday, I decided to try making my own baby food. I started with Sweet potatoes.
I used the website wholesomebabyfood.com as a reference.
I started out with two medium size sweet potatoes.
Washed them, and let them dry.
Took a fork and poked holes all over.
Wrapped them in plastic wrap, and put them in the microwave for 8 minutes, turning them over halfway through.
After they were done cooking, I took them out, unwrapped them, and let them cool for a few minutes.
I cut them in half and scooped out all of the "meat" and put it in a container.

Then I took my Kitchen Aid Stick Immersion blender, and pureed them.
Then I added water. A lot more water than I thought I would need, but I didn't want the sweet potatoes to be too thick.

After they were good and mixed, I spooned them into an ice cube tray and put them in the freezer.

After a few hours, they were nice a frozen, so I took one out for Michael to eat, and the rest I put in a zip lock back and labeled the bag with what it was and the date.
I think he liked it. What do you think?

I figure Michael can eat 1 or 2 of these cubes in one sitting, so I have at least 6 servings, but probably more.
Total cost to make: $1.36
Total time to prepare: 30 minutes
I will definitely be doing this again. Maybe I'll try carrots next. Any suggestions would be great.
The best thing about making my own baby food is that I know exactly what is in it.

No comments: