Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Something I never wanted to do...

I had to do something today that I was hoping I would NEVER have to do. I had to give my child the Heimlich Maneuver!

I was feeding Michael some fruit this morning and I notice him start to make a strange face, and get a very worried look. I talked to him, and kept watching him, and realized that he could not breath! I stayed very calm through the whole ordeal, which I am surprised that I was able to do so. All of my CPR training came back to me, and I quickly pulled him out of his high chair, and turned him over and started hitting his back. I did it several times, and turned him over. He was still choking. I turned him back over, and hit him a few more times. At that point, he started caughing and up came the piece of pear that had been stuck. The whole thing happened so quickly, that after it was over with, I was able to catch my breath, and realize what had happened. Michael was fine, and went right back to eating, like nothing happened, but Mama was a little more cautious about what fruit he ate.

I'm not sure how many people read this blog, or if any of you have children. Please take the time to learn how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver / CPR on infants and children. Especially if you have children, or are around children. Knowing how to do this just may save a life.

There are several youtube videos showing what to do.  Here is a link to an article with step by step directions of what to do.

Hopefully I will never had to do that again, but if I do, I know that I can handle the situation, and that I will stay calm.

No comments: