Friday, May 6, 2016

Our Foster to Adopt Journey Part 4

Saturday April 16, 2016 was the day we would meet our new son!! Nervous and excited, we drove the hour and a half to his foster home. When we walked in the door, his foster mother and I fell into each other's arms and wept. Her, because she was losing a child, and me because my prayers were being answered and God had given us another child. 

Baby J was asleep in his crib, and I just stood there staring at him sleep. So peaceful and completely unaware that his little life was about to change forever! 


He woke up, and Andrew and I took it slowly, not wanting to overwhelm him. We played with him and let him get comfortable with us. 

He loves to play with a ball! So he was kicking it all over the house or throwing it to us. He warmed up to us quickly. 

We also took this time to get to know his foster parents. I can not say enough nice things about them! They are wonderful, and Baby J is so blessed to have lived with them for 9 months. He has been so loved! 


We were there for about 3 hours just playing and letting baby J get familiar with us and hopefully start to bond with us a little. 

He really took to Andrew quickly, and was super happy to be in his arms! 


When it was time to leave, I gave Baby J a blanket that I had made. I had been sleeping with it, and hoped it would carry my scent and so the next time he saw me, he could make a connection. 
Well after we left, the foster mom sent me pictures of Baby J playing peek-a-boo with the blanket! Made my mama heart so happy! 


The next day, Sunday, April 17, 2016  we got to pick up baby J and take him for the afternoon. This was the first time Michael got to meet him, and he was so excited! We met the foster parents at the restaurant they were eating lunch at. when we walked up, the foster mom was holding him, and quickly bend down, and told Baby J to give his new brother a hug! And he did! So sweet! 


After the baby was finished with his lunch, we took him to a playground to play. 



The boys had so much fun playing together. I so wish I could show his little face in the picture above. He was looking right at Michael and smiling! My cousin said it best, when he captioned this picture, "Did we just become best friends? Yep!"

We actually went to the playground at our church, since we knew the building would be open in case we needed to go inside for anything. Well, we ended up inside for a large part of it, because it was so hot outside! 


The boys kicked the soccer ball around the empty hallways, and had a blast!!


Andrew and I just sat and watched the boys play together! It brought tears to my eyes to see God's answered prayers playing together! If these boys only knew just how much they were prayed for...


Our first picture as a family of 4!!

After a couple of hours, it was time to bring him back to his foster parents. On the way to meet him, Baby J fell asleep in the car, and was so snuggley when I took him out of the car seat! 


The next day was the Day!! I had a lot to do to get ready for a baby!! Luckily, I didn't have to work, so I could spend the whole day preparing!!

Monday, April 18, 2016 was the day that changed our lives forever!!  


Michael was so excited about becoming a big brother! He wore his big brother shirt to school and made the baby the sweetest card at school that day!


 Andrew came home at lunch time, and then we went to get Michael from school. It was time to go pick up Baby J!!

When we got to the foster parents house, the foster mom had everything ready to go. She was so sweet and gave us diapers, food, and lots of clothes and shoes!! This little boy is set!!

The adoption supervisor and the guardian ad litem were also there. We signed a paper, and then it was time to go. I thought it might take longer, but it was really quick. We let the foster parents have a few minutes to say goodbye. It was so hard! They love him so much, but know that we do to, and that we are forever! We took some pictures of them together, and then she brought him over to me, and repeatedly said, "This is your mama!" with tears streaming down both of our faces, she handed him over to me. 

We took a family picture, and then got in the car and headed home!!


We picked up dinner on the way home, and then let the boys play for a little bit.


Michael insisted that the baby needed to put on his matching shirt, and we tried to get a picture. We will work on getting a better picture soon. 


The first night was rough! The baby slept most of the ride home, so when it was time for bed, he wasn't tired. Michael was feeling all kinds of new things, like jealousy, and didn't know how to process everything. It was 11:00 before both boys were in their own beds asleep! Since that first night, we have figured out a great bedtime routine that works great for both boys!

Despite all of the bedtime problems, I went to sleep that night so happy that our new blessing was home!

Oh yeah, and that date in January I told you to remember back in my first post,  that is actually baby J's birthday. So the night we were in our very first meeting with DSS adoptions, he was being born!! Isn't God amazing? He writes the best stories!!

And so for now, that is where our foster to adopt journey is. I will do an update once something happens, but right now, we are all happy and healthy and thrilled to be a family of 4!!


Jill P. McCormick said...

Katie-So when was baby J born? Alexis was born January 6, 2015, so they are they are the same age. She just turned 16 months May 6th.

Katie said...

His birthday is January 26, 2015. So he just turned 15 months.

Jill P. McCormick said...

Ok. It's such a fun age! :0) I hope everyone is adjusting well. Happy Mother's Day!