Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hamburg - Day 2

This morning we woke up at 7:00 am to go to the Fischmarkt. It was cold and rainy, but we went all the way through. Here I am at the Harbor when we first got there.
I didn't buy anything at the Fischmarkt except hot chocolate and an eclair. It was probably the best eclair I have ever had. I got it from a Portuguese bakery. Jennifer got a chocolate croissant and a coffee. And believe it or not, at 7:30 am the beer was flowing. I can't believe how much beer these people drink. This is Jennifer on the way out. She was pretty cold.
Here I am after we went through the entire FischMarkt. I'm wearing my hood because it was raining and very cold.
After we left the FischMarkt, we went to the down tot he Alte Elbtunnel (old Elbe Tunnel). We got in an elevator and went 24 metres deep under the Elbe River. It has been transporting people and vehicles since 1911. They close it to vehicles on Sundays, so it was safer for us to be walking through.
On the other side of the tunnel is Steinwerder. There was a great view of the hamburg skyline. I only wish it hadn't been so foggy. That is St. Michael's Church over my right shoulder.
Here is St. Michael's church as we were walking back to the Apartment from the harbor. It is a beautiful church. It was consecrated in 1661, and has been completely destroyed and rebuilt twice (1750 & 1943). Later in the week we will be climbing to the top of the steeple. Jennifer said the view of Hamburg and the harbor is incredible from the top.

Tonight we are getting on an airplane and heading to London for a few days. I'm really looking forward to seeing everything London has to offer. I know I won't be able to do Everything, but I'm hoping to get as much in as possible. We won't have Internet access while in London, so I won't be blogging for a few days. But when we get back, I will have a ton of pictures to share.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Looks like you're having a good time! Hope you have fun in London!