Saturday, August 14, 2010

Road trip to Alabama!

We left Gaffney at 11:00 am and started making our way to Alabama. We had to make a few stops in Greenville. (Thank you Jessica and Chris for your gift! I know it will come in handy these first few weeks!)
Then we headed down the road. Here is my road trip survival kit: A Rt. 44 Cherry Limeade from Sonic, A great Karen Kingsbury Book, and a new crochet project.

 I was actually able to get half of the blanket made during the ride down.
Andrew wanted to make a stop in Atlanta, so we could eat at The Varsity. We could have taken 285 and gone around Atlanta, but instead we took 85 right into Atlanta. 
He looks ready to eat!
 The Varsity food was good, but it has nothing on The Beacon, in Spartanburg. Sorry Atlanta people. You just don't know what you are missing.
Yes, I am a Big Dork!
Getting out of Atlanta, we got in bad traffic, but we just rolled with it. About 30 miles outside of Atlanta, I got a turn driving. We finally made it to Alabama, and I tried to take a picture of the sign with my iPhone, while I was driving. But it just didn't work. All I got were trees. Andrew was sleeping, so I didn't think it was necessary to wake him up just to take a picture. We drove by Talladega Superspeedway, which was cool to see. We also drove by the Boy Scouts of America Headquarters, and Andrew got really excited about that! I think we will be having to make a stop on the way home, or we might just go one day while we are down here, and are looking for things to do. I can't wait to get a picture of Andrew, holding his son, in front of the Boy Scout sign. I drove the rest of the way, until we were at a standstill in traffic, and we did a "Chinese fire drill" and Andrew drove the remaining 15 miles. For some reason, he just isn't comfortable with me driving in heavy traffic...I wonder why?? J/K We got to our hotel, and checked in. We were able to use Andrew's priority club points for the reservations, and only had to pay $30/night for the first 3 nights, and then the last night we are here, we have to pay full price. But they did upgrade us to a 1 bedroom suite, rather then the studio, and it is wonderful having the extra space.
Living Room

Kitchen / Desk

Bedroom

All ready for the baby
After we got all settled into the hotel, we went and ate one last dinner as just the two of us. Andrew's boss had given him a gift card for Lone Star Steakhouse, so we went there. If I had been paying, I wouldn't have been happy. The food was just ok, but nothing wonderful. But, it was nice that she gave us the gift card, and we appreciate it very much. After dinner, we went to Wal-Mart to get some things to have in the room for the next few days. Drinks, snacks, cereal... Then we came back to the room, and went to bed. It was a long day of traveling, but we have a huge day today, and we needed to be rested. It's funny how God prepares you for something like this. Last night, I woke up every 2 hours. I think this is a sign of things to come...
Well, I will update later with pictures of my SON!!! Only 2 more hours until he is in my arms!!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm going to be checking back every hours for pictures of that sweet boy!